Monday, July 12, 2010

Our last day in 29 Palms, California

Can I just start with... I promise I'll get better at this!!

I grew up in 29 Palms... I haven't lived here since 1999 and I am a little sad to be leaving in the morning. We spent the day together as a family. From when I woke up this morning, I went on a coffee run for me and my sister. Which was interesting because she wanted a mocha frape from McDonald's, is that coffee? LOL! As I stepped outside I was overwhelmed by the scent of rain. A smell like no other. When it rains in the desert you always know it is coming before you ever feel water from this amazing smell. I thought it was a perfect way to start the day. I feel lucky I was able to enjoy that smell, one last time before I head south.

It was definitely a day of the cousins. We spent the morning at Auntie Jennifer's house and Jax and Addison played together on the floor, keeping each other company. One will never know what they were saying, but it was fun to watch. Addison would kick Jax, and Jax would eat Addison's toes. Charlie and Maryam would run back and fourth from Maryam's room to the living room, going from one toy to the next. In a few hours they were going to go to the movies to see, as Charlie would say "the talking dogs" I honestly have no idea the name of the movie. Jax, Maryam, Charlie, Yaya, Uncle Brett and Auntie Jennifer headed off to the movies while I stayed home with Addison, finished laundry and PACKED! Packing is where it hit me that I was going to be waking up and heading straight to the airport in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I am excited about this new "era" as my brother in law Nat would say, but I am sad to leave behind my family. Packing was difficult. Almost as if this was the first time I actually thought about leaving. I know that I am moving, but have I really thought about leaving? The house was suddenly quiet as everyone darted off to the movie theater. At this point Addison went down for her nap rather quickly. (it's usually easier for her to nap while Charlie is out)So I used this time to pack and think. I thought about a lot of things, that would probably bore you, but here are a few examples: bugs! Will I really wear "OFF" everyday, like perfume? Humidity! What will my hair look like? Will I need to get new hair products? Flip Flops? Do I trade them in for a pair of boots? or is that just a winter thing? Time Change? Will I reset my watch or just remember to count 2 hours ahead. (no I don't know how to do my watch, Yes I will have to ask someone to do it for me)... This is what's going through my head as my nerves set in. When suddenly I hear my little girl... They are all home! Yeah! Charlie is happy to be home. We just sat in the living room as a family and observed the kids play. It was amazing. My nerves went away. I played "ring around the roses" with Maryam and Charlie and watched them dance to the music on TV. Listened to Jax and Addison moan and cue. It was fun. Of course there was the typical adult shouting of words like, "no", "stop doing that" and the classic "you'll get a time out", however it was fun!

After the kids were in bed I decided to head over to Jennifer's to spend some quality time with her and Brett. I had been trying to get over there all week, but with 2 trips to the ER I hadn't managed to make it yet. The desert night was in full bloom. I could see every star in the sky. The sky was so lit up, I didn't feel like I was in the dark. Absolutely amazing. We stood outside for hours and talked, rehashed old stories, told some new ones and just enjoyed good company. It was nice to just be. I was not only with my sister, I was with someone who knows me. Someone who knows me and still loves me. There are no words to express the joy in heart after the time we spend together. My sister has taught me many things over the years, both directly and indirectly and tonight she reminded me and encouraged me to just let go and jump. She gives me strength like no other. My nerves are gone. I am not sad, I am excited, and even though I will and believe I always will "follow the rules" tonight I am adventurous.

Scott and Nat made it to Lebanon, TN around 6:30 Pacific time, I am grateful they had a safe trip. I am also happy they are there a day before me, hoping I will feel a little settled when I get there as I expect them to unpack! Ha! I can not wait to board that plane tomorrow and arrive in Nashville and be with my family. I will proudly hold Scott's hand and take this leap. I believe in my whole heart this is going to be a great adventure and although I know life is challenging, and these past years have been difficult, there is no one else I would want to have pick me up and start a new journey with. This California girl tomorrow will be bedding down in Tennessee... let the experiment begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment