Sunday, July 11, 2010

Local color, from the Farmers Market to the ER!

Today was a fantastic day! We got up this morning and went out to breakfast at a restaurant that none of us had been to before. This is great because I am deathly afraid of trying new things, but since I'm moving across country in a few days, I figure this might be something to work on! After our breakfast adventure/mild accomplishment Charlie, Addison, Yaya and myself went to the Farmers Market in downtown Joshua Tree. I LOVE Farmers Markets and we had a blast. We picked up fresh strawberries, cherries and cantaloupe. I had a wonderful conversation with a local artist who had some of the most amazing portraits of Joshua Tree National Park that I have ever seen. I was so impressed and it inspired me to check out the Twentynine Palms Art Gallery on our way home. We also went into the local souvenir shops, which are always great because there was so much local artistry. It was fun to do things I had never done before and be able to spend that time with my Mom made it even more precious. Several times through out the day, I kept thinking to myself how much fun I was having. It truly was an awesome way to spend my last Saturday in the desert.

As I have been talking to Charlie about this Tennessee adventure of course I have had to mention the BIG plane ride we are about to embark on. So today we went to the Dollar store, where I gave her, her very own shopping cart and told her to shop! She was picking out toys for her backpack to take on the trip. She was so cute with what she wanted to bring. She picked out stickers, sticker books, color books, post-cards to write her cousin, flashcards, and crayons. Oh and of course a candy bracelet with a matching necklace. (I might hide that one) She even put her basket on the conveyor belt when it was time to check out. So now she is all set with a full princess backpack to sport on the plane.

Scott has been texting each time he crosses into a new state and I run and get Charlie, pull out the road atlas and show her where her daddy is. It was so cute tonight after I showed her where her daddy had driven to, she said "lets go home" I was shocked and said "what?" "I want to go to my new home. I'm excited. Lets go today!" This felt so good to hear, because it has been so hard for her to understand. We left our house on June 30 and haven't been back, but talk about moving. We have been visiting Scott's brother and now my parents. So it's been an adjustment for sure. Meanwhile daddy is still driving across country! He started the day in New Mexico and ended the night in Arkansas. He crossed through, Texas and Oklahoma! BIG day for him. He and his brother are exhausted. He assured me that Smokey and Pretzel are doing okay too, but they are all tired.

The climax of the night had to be going to the ER. The strangest thing happened tonight. Charlie Mae got hurt. I am not sure how, and anyone who knows her, knows she falls ALL THE TIME. We most often hear her say "I'm okay!" Well not tonight. Just a few minutes before 8 it was "NO I'M NOT OKAY!" She was sitting on the couch when all of a sudden she started to cry. I tried to console her and figure out what happened, but was not successful. I followed my instincts and took her to the ER. She was very brave and curious. She asked everyone a million questions. And bless her little heart she said "cheese" at the x-ray camera and then for the last picture she puckered her lips and blew that "special camera" a kiss! My little princess is going to be fine, thank God. She is wearing a fiberglass cast to keep her arm movement limited. She has to wear the cast until she begins to move her arm on her own. The Dr believes she pulled her Elbow head out of the joint, but it is back in place now. Doing this caused some strain on the muscles going to the joints. They gave her some Motrin for the pain and she took it like a champ. This is Charlie Mae's first trip to the ER and I hope it is our last. It was very hard with out her daddy there, but I somehow managed to stay calm. It was very tough on me to see my daughter there in that hospital bed, very overwhelming. I was worried if I did the right thing by bringing her, but I kept telling myself better safe than sorry. Plus, I know her and she usually can "shake it off." I can honestly say she went to the ER tonight because I decided she needed to go. Anyone who knows me can say that is an accomplishment as well. I made a quick decision on my own! In the end, I'm glad I took her and I'm thankful she is ok. I am curious, however as to what she is going to say when she wakes up and sees that cast!

No comments:

Post a Comment