Monday, August 16, 2010

Wilson County Fair...

Charlie Mae had her first taste of the fair, and she loved it! Friday was the opening day and we went Friday night. When I asked her what her favorite part was she replied, "PIG RACES!" Ha! Ha! I'm not kidding! She was picked out of the crowd at one point too and sponsored pig number 5! It was a sight to see. This was our first experience with pig racing, but yes we had fun. We took her through the animal exhibits and she saw cows, ducks, turkeys, chickens, and just about any animal you could think of. To me, of course it was just a smelly mess. The fair is so not my style and the animal exhibit is my least favorite. She had a great time though and that is all that matters. It was a really, really hot night. We were all miserable. Especially Addison. She does not like this heat at all. Charlie Mae wanted to go on the Ferris wheel, but we didn't take her. She might have us convinced that she is big enough by the end of the week. She still has some tickets so she has a few more rides she can go on. She did however go on the carousel, the Bumble Bee, (which is like Dumbo), and she played a going fishing game as well. She also rode a little horse, or I guess it would be a pony. It was pretty big for a pony, so I'm not technically sure what it was. She did however pretend to lift up her imaginary hat and say 'yeahhaw partner, I'm a cowboy!' This made her daddy very proud, and would have made her Uncle Nat proud too. In fact she told me, "too bad Uncle Nat missed that". She has only rode a horse a few times and it has been with him. She had a great time.

I went back on Saturday with my new BFF Maggie. We had a blast. We actually went to the Ms. Senior Wilson County Beauty Pageant. That was adorable. It was so cute to see those women get up there on stage and model their fancy dresses and display their talents. There was 6 contestants and they were all adorable. I would go into detail about how hot that day was, but I'll spare you. I will say however that the pageant was outside, in the middle of the day and it was so humid that it actually started to rain about an hour after it was over. In fact we were still at the fair when as the TN folks said, "the bottom fell out". Now I wasn't sure what this meant, but I did know that I was soaking wet! My strapless sundress, (because that's what you wear to the fair) was see thru and soaking wet. I was dripping. I have been caught out in the rain 3 times in my entire life now and 2 times have been this summer in TN. The first time was in the south too. Scott and I were on vacation a few summers ago with Nat and Leslie and we were in New Orleans. We had just done a Mississippi River Boat tour and when we got off, "the bottom fell out". We had to run to our hotel in the pouring rain. We could see the streets flood and the entire city was basically floating. This was just a few months prior to Hurricane Katrina. I will never forget that trip for several reasons. Although those details are FUN, this is not the venue to reminisce. I will say, it was a lot of rain. Saturday night was just like that. We were actually walking out because we could tell it was going to rain. Here when you hear thunder and see lightening, it actually is about to rain. It is a fair warning. We just weren't fast enough. It was so funny. I was pushing Charlie in the stroller in my dress and flip flops, and Scott was carrying Addison. I kept telling him to just head to the truck to get Addison out of the rain, but he wouldn't leave me. He knew I would float away, hahaha!

I will say, TN is a very nice place. Everyone I have met here is extremely kind and nice. People are very polite. Everyone is always trying to help me out and everyone is so thoughtful and just kind. People are constantly giving me directions. When I see someone they ask me how I'm doing and then wait for me to answer. More and more people are asking me if I'm from around here and when I tell them California, it's always fun to see their reaction. I have met some pretty great people and I know I am making some lasting relationships. Especially at work. I love my job, the company is great and the opportunity for success is huge. The people are amazing and so friendly. I feel so lucky to be apart of this organization. Today I was able to shadow a team member on a few appointments in Nashville, which is just so cool. I love Nashville. I think it is a great city. It is so urban, but country at the same time. It's small enough, to learn your way around fast and big enough to see something different each time. They have some pretty awesome shops and fun dining as well. I can't wait to take Scott out to a few cool bars I have found, that I know he will love. I just love how much character this place has. It is so different from what I am use too. Now, I just need to learn how to relax. I am already high strung as it is, but stick me in a room with some Tennesseans and you'll think I need to do a few shots of patron! It's all good though, we are all having fun. I am learning so much and I am just so excited. This job is definitely a positive in the Tennessee Experiment for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment