Sunday, August 22, 2010

Its BRISTOL, baby!

Ha! Ha! We had a blast... Scott & I left the house early on Saturday morning at 6:30 to head towards Bristol. The morning was beautiful, in fact it wasn't even hot outside. The fog was rolling over creeks and the air was all misty... We really enjoyed our road trip. Scott and I were able to talk and enjoy each others company. It was funny how we both had so much to say, as if it had been so long since we had spoke, but yet we talk everyday. I think it was the simple fact that we were alone. Able to be ourselves and enjoy the moments. We had wonderful conversations and laughed the entire way to the track. It was a little over 4 hours of a drive. We met up with my cousin Brian and his wife Melinda a few exits before the race track so we could park together. It was so awesome to see family. Scott brought his grill so we cooked hot dogs and hung out in the parking lot all day. Scott's cousin Josh and his wife Dana met up with us too! It was so much fun. They also had a real friendly couple with them too. It was a party! Of course it rained a little bit, but not too much. I've learned to carry an umbrella so we had that. We were lucky the rain came early enough and passed through... I wish I could describe Bristol. Everything about it was amazing. As we were driving in there were people sitting in lawn chairs on their front porch selling parking in their yard for $20!! Ha! At the time I thought how silly and gave it the natural capitalistic high five it was worthy of, but didn't fully understand it and wouldn't for a few hours...
As we make our way in our view is just a sea of campers, trucks & trailers! The place was just full of high flying confederate flags, camouflage of all colors, and tints of hunter/TN orange as far as the eye could see! Everyone was loud and everyone was proud... Everyone had their own driver that they were sure was going to win and everyone for sure was there to have some fun!!
In true tailgate fashion our bellys were full and our beer and rum were gone so we headed up to the track. In true Sarah form I was nervous about my hair and that TN sun was finally peeking through the now clear blue skies... So I put my husbands ball cap on, we grabbed our shoulder cooler and were track bound. We hopped on the 1st bus we saw and were shuffled into the crowd of true NASCAR fans! You know what I mean... Bright, neon colored displays of their drivers number on their shirt and/or hats as they waited in line for free stuff. Ha ha! We picked up some BBQ sauce, I got a hat for my father in law and 4 red, white and blue hand towels!! We made our way over to the SPEED channel's booth where we stood behind Kyle Petty and if I wasn't so short I would have been on TV...
After a long walk we made our way up to the track and after I climbed up those stairs... I saw it. I saw the fastest 1/2 mile in the world!! It was awesome! The embankments on both sides were amazing. All I could think was RAD!! We all took pictures of ourselves in front of the speedway and finally felt anxious for the race to start. As we found our seats I wondered about the 'fly by'... The opening ceremonies were fantastic. The driver introductions were hilarious as they were stirring up the fans for some shit talking! They did a wonderful American flag presentation and recognized the sacrifices of our troops. Then of course they did the fly by during the National Anthem. Hearing/seeing that live just gives me chills. As the most famous words in NASCAR were said 'gentleman start your engines'... Wow it was loud!! That was the loudest sound I have ever heard! It was incredible. I even had head phones on!! Scott still can't hear a word I am saying!! 'Deaf'initely the coolest track I have ever been too and it was a great way to spend some quality time with my husband.
Now back to that $20! The law of supply and demand... Economics always WINS and yeah to capitalism! We sat in that 'FREE' parking lot for over 2 hours before we moved an inch!! It honestly took us 2 1/2 hours to get out of that 'FREE' parking lot! Now I know those people who paid $20 to park in someone's front yard did not wait 2 1/2 hours to leave, LOL!! We didn't check into our hotel room until 3AM! Ha, it was crazy... We actually weren't sure if we were going to spend the night or not, but at this point we had no choice. It was also pouring rain. And I mean pouring, ya know that TN 'the bottom fell out' kind a pouring rain! I bet I called over 20 hotel rooms from Bristol to Knoxville looking for an available hotel room! I finally found 1 heading East on I-40, rather than West, towards home. It was only about 7 miles out of the way, but in the middle of the night in the pouring rain, it was perfect!! It was a great hotel too. We were very comfortable and it was the perfect way to end an awesome day! We can't wait to do it again! It was wonderful to see family... Thanks Brian for the tickets. We are on our way home now and can't wait to see those beautiful girls! Charlie Mae and Addison stayed home with Ernie and Janette and I'm very excited to hear about their weekend. I hear they went to the Wilson County Fair!
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment