Friday, October 11, 2013

In Loving Memory of My Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom was an amazing man who always had a smile on his face. Almost every picture I can pull from memory he was smiling... In fact the only few memories I have with him not smiling was when he was working in the yard and was usually beet red from the sun. Of course when I think about that I laugh because I immediately remember summer trips of him in his hats with his neck covered with his hanky. Uncle Tom always carried a hanky. He loved all of us so much. He has been a witness to every major event in my life. He is my Godfather and supported & attended my confirmation, high school graduation, college graduation, my wedding, welcomed both my babies, went to both their baptisms, celebrated my send off to TN & traveled to the south twice to visit me. He treated me, my sister and my brother like his own children. That is on top of all the camping & fishing trips, summer breaks, & amusement parks. I remember when we played 'hunting' at Grandma's house & he would always tell me where my cousins were hiding & he would wink! He didn't yell at me when I caught his hand with my fish hook, when he was trying to teach me how to fish. He simply said 'sweetie I don't think you were listening.' He nursed my foot almost every 4th of July after I stepped on a sparkler with out shoes. He always dished me out ice cream every time he got him some. He bought me a new bed after my back surgeries so I would be comfortable when I came to visit. He made me laugh, he hugged me tight & always wanted to know what I was doing. Not just how I was, he always wanted details. I remember the summer before last when he came to Tennessee for Charlie Mae's 5th birthday and I took him to my office. He wanted to know exactly how the wheelchair mini van worked. He asked me more questions then any customer I ever had. He really enjoyed me telling him about my trip to the manufacturers plant and wanted to hear all about my tour. He knew right from wrong & taught us all by example. He loved my children and would see them every chance he got. He didn't care how far he had to travel to get there. He spoiled them at Christmas and their birthdays. This past month was hard on us. We all struggled and we have all have been in shock. Being so far away and being updated over the phone day after day... and feeling so helpless. This past weekend has been extremely emotional. I hadn't been to central California since my Grandma's funeral. The emotions I felt the minute I went over the Grapevine was so intense. I have cried so much these past few days, we all have cried. Saturday morning I drove my Aunt Karen to Fresno and visited my Grandma's resting place. It was probably the most intense and emotional moment I had felt. It was all so much at once. Losing my Grandma was so hard on me and I talk to her everyday. She is in my heart and has been my role model for how I live my life and how I raise my children. Getting all those emotions out as I see her grave and marker for the first time mixed with me getting prepared to send off my Uncle Tom was such a powerful moment in my life. The only two deaths and funerals I have experienced personally in my life have been two of great importance. I am still emotional and I still cry while I remember and sit in disbelief. As we say 'farewell' I will hold onto my faith as much as Uncle Tom did his whole life. All of us 8 cousins being together brought a comfort I didn't anticipate. We had not all been together in over 3 years. It as been since my Grandma's funeral. Spending those tough days with family and remembering our special moments together, I know that Grandma is looking down on us so proud of the family she has created. I am sure she is welcoming Uncle Tom in heaven with a blessed meal. I love all of you - family is our heart. I love you Uncle Tom, thank you for being you, an amazing Man, Husband, Father, Uncle, Brother, Godfather and Grandfather. Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment